25 July 2010

Day Three - Cahors Blues Festival


Monday 12 July


The future of the legend !!!










Cisco Herzhaft (French)
The programme described him as one of the last of the authentic blues pickers which is undoubtedly true, even if that “one of the last” encompasses several hundreds of bluesmen and blueswomen!
However, what a lovely warm, talented entertainer this man turned out to be. Seated comfortably he picked away at his steel slide guitar, sang well, and constantly hit the beat with a stomp-box*, he took us on a tour of The Blues and all its derivatives – Delta, Chicago, Rag Time, even American Indian, and Irish influences. He even managed to fit in a blues stylised version of “Apache” (Shadows).
He had his packed audience in the palm of his hand. Hands and feet were following his beat as his left foot never stopped its mesmeric drumming.
A great show by a real bluesman. He is well up on my list and I will want to see him again.

* (I've looked up how to make one - its easy!)

We didn’t stay for the 7 o’clock show with Fred Chapellier as he was to be playing later so we took the opportunity to head into town and sample some of the excellent cuisine for which this region is famed.

Roland Tchakunté (Cameroon)
As you will know from one of my previous postings I have sampled some West African music in its raw state so I was keen to see what this guy could do. Well, he could do well and was by far, in my humble opinion, better than the other two acts that were to form a melange as the night wore on.
His tribal music with blues influences put out a gutsy performance and I would have been quite happy if he had filled the rest of the time that evening.
This especially as his companion guitarist, Mr Mick Ravassat (French I think), was absolutely brilliant and worthy of a place amongst Bonamassa,and the likes – yes, really! Mick also has his band 'Mick Ravassat & The Blue Team'.
Mathias Bernheim, percussion, was good too - making a well rounded and interesting trio band.
Roland and Mick worked exceptionally well together and I would gladly like to see either of them again – together or on their own. A good show lads.

Amar Sundy (listed as Touareg)

Whilst researching gigs, concerts, and events for my monthly list of “What’s  On In France”, I have often found Mr Amar Sundy and, knowing he is of North African origin (another region I have spent some time in) I was again most interested to hear his style.
I suppose I fit a minority opinion but I found him to be a kind of  middle east Popa Chubby but nowhere near as skilled. His improvisations left me confused and often I was convinced he had lost his way. I was looking for much more, something very different.
I suppose I was expecting, hoping for something like the style of Cheb Mami  (Ahmed Khelifati Mohamed) but sadly Mr Sundy’s Saharan roots where nowhere to be seen. Disappointing.
Fred Chapellier (French)
In retrospect I think we should have opted to have seen Fred on his earlier performance. Without doubt he is a fine bluesman with a very fine band (Rhythm, Bass, Hammond organ and Drums) but having seen so much previous talent – and it was still only the 3rd day of the Festival – his light just did not shine for me.
And then they all got on stage together! Frankly I was not impressed. Fred is obviously a professional and experienced performer, and can hold his own but it looked to me that Roland was beginning to wish he had gone home whilst the going was good.
Amar wanted to dominate the stage in that infuriating way some people try to be magnanimous whilst really seeking attention for themselves.
I would love to see Roland Tchakounté again and my ‘man of the night’ by far was Mick Ravassat.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home